Ms. Brooks is a member of the firm’s Education Law Group. Her practice focuses on civil rights claims, special education, residency law, records, discipline, enrollment, Pennsylvania Approved Private School and charter school matters. Ms. Brooks builds strong relationships with clients through daily interactions advising them on legal matters that arise in the course of school administration. She routinely represents clients in administrative and local agency proceedings up through the appeals process. Her former experience as a teacher and collegiate coach, brings practical and knowledgeable experience of the educational community into her practice. Ms. Brooks is also a member of the Pennsylvania and Montgomery Bar Associations. A graduate of Temple University’s Law School, she served as Editor-in-Chief of the Temple Political & Civil Rights Review. She received her undergraduate degree from Haverford College.
- Represented School Districts in negotiations with parents and their attorneys resulting in positive outcomes for Districts and children in regular and special education settings.
- Represented School Districts in Administrative Hearings regarding special education issues, including tuition reimbursement and compensatory education claims
- Represented School Districts in Non-Residency Hearings to exclude students attending our client schools illegally.
- Counseled School Districts in successfully navigating the Charter School Application Review process including conducting hearings on Charter Applications.
- In-serviced administrators, teachers and other special education service providers in areas of special education compliance and strategy.
- Successfully represented School Districts during investigations conducted by the Office of Civil Rights alleging discrimination based on disability.
Speeches and Publications
- “Ethical Issues for Attorneys in the IEP Meeting Process” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, October 27, 2014
- “School Law, an Examination of Current Critical Topics in School Law” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, November 18, 2013
- “504 Refresher, A Focus on Forms and Procedures,” Upper Perkiomen School District, March 27, 2013
- “Prevention and Reporting of Sexual and Other Unlawful Harassment, Child/Student Abuse,” Upper Perkiomen School District, August 23, 2012
- “504 In-Service: What You Need to Know About Writing Chapter 15 Service Agreements,” Upper Perkiomen School District, October 10, 2011
- “Legal Developments in Special Education for School Psychologists,” Lower Merion School District, August 31, 2011
- “Legally Compliant IEPs,” Co-Presenter, Abington School District, May 18, 2010
- "Student and Staff Issues in Extra Curricular Activities," Co-Author, Pennsylvania School Boards Association Bulletin – February and April 2006 (2 part series)
- "Section 504, What You Need to Know," Upper Perkiomen School District, October 16, 2009
- "Getting a Child into School and Keeping Her There, The Laws Governing School Enrollment and Student Discipline," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, October 2, 2009
- "Records: What Need to Know About Right To Know and Other Laws," Co-presenter, Pennsylvania Association of Pupil Services Administrators Conference, April 23, 2009
- "The Upper Dublin Debt Act Referendum: A Series of Fortunate Events," Pennsylvania School Boards Association School Solicitor's Symposium, 2007 Summer Conference
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Haverford College, Member of Board of Managers
- Haverford College Corporation Member and President’s Advisory Committee Clerk
- Goshen Friends School, General Committee Member
- Gail Weilheimer for Judge, Treasurer of successful 2013 campaign for Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas judicial election
Honors and Awards
- Editor-in-Chief of the Temple Political & Civil Rights Law Review
- Recipient of the Harriet Robinson Gillock Memorial Award for integrity, professionalism and personal dedication to fellow students and the law school community.
- Thomas Glasser Hall of Achievement, Haverford College.
Past Employment Positions
- School District of Philadelphia, Internship in special education law
- Eckell, Sparks, Internship in education and personal injury law
- Temple University Legal Aid, Clinical internship as disability rights advocate
- Center for Community Non-Profit Organizations, Clinical internship
- Friends School at Mullica Hill, Elementary School Teacher
- Haverford College, Women’s Collegiate Basketball and Volleyball Coach
- Haverford College Women’s Basketball, First woman score 1,000 points
- 1991 Division II Volleyball All American
- Washington D.C. and San Diego Marathon finisher